Plugin of The Week: Eventide Ultratap Delay
Point Blank resident plugin tester JC Concato is back with another instalment of our Plugin of the Week series, this time looking at Eventide’s Ultratrap Delay. Currently on sale at $49 until September 5th.
Ultratrap began as a factory preset in Eventide’s SP2016 rack mount audio processor back in 1982. It was later included in the legendary H3000 HArmonizer effects processor as well as the DSP4000, H8000 and H9 effects pedal. Now, after 35 years, the Ultratrap is available to us all in plugin form.
Optimized to work within your DAW of choice and with 150 presets, the Ultratrap delay has been ported directly from the award-winning H9 Harmonizer. With it, you can:
- Manipulate effects in real-time using The Ribbon to transition seamlessly between two settings of any combination of controls.
- Using the innovative Slurm control, smear taps together or modulate them to create truly unique reverbs.
- Create drastic changes in effect and sound by assigning the HotSwitch to an alternate version of the current settings.
- Use up to 64 taps to create simple repeats or morph delays into chorus and reverb.
- Speed up or slow down the rhythmic space between taps using the Spread knob.
- Use the onboard LFOs and envelopes to chop the sound source into stuttered rhythms.
- Control the stereo image of taps to alternate between hard-panned and mono.
- Sync the Length and/or Chop LFO speed to the DAW session.
- Use Mix Lock to scroll through presets while keeping the wet-dry mix constant.
- Optimized for live use with MIDI control of The Ribbon and Tap Tempo for quick meta control on the fly.
For the full breakdown, watch JC and Carly dissect Ultratrap at 4.00pm GMT in the video above.
If you’d like to learn mixing and mastering techniques, Point Blank offer courses for those at any level. Our BA (Hons) Music Production & Sound Engineering Degree in London is one of the most comprehensive courses out there, with modules covering mixing, sound design, production and much more. We also offer an online alternative, in the form of our new online BA (Hons) Music Production & Sound Engineering Degree. We are currently offering a huge 20% off online courses until August 31st, so make sure you enrol soon! For more information, contact our course advisors on +44 20 7729 4884. If you are a resident of the USA, you can reach us on 323 282 7660.
Register to Access Free Courses, Plugins, Projects, Samples & More
When you register with Point Blank, you access an array of free sounds, plugins, online course samples, access to our social network Plugged In and much more! Simply register below and visit our Free Stuff page to get your hands on a range of exclusive music-making tools and tutorials provided by the team. Fill your boots!